Guess what, kids? The SUPER BOWL is coming in less than a week! I'm so excited that I'm already getting prepared, and in an exciting twist, I'll finally get to watch the big game with my family for the first time since I was a senior in high school. Yes, for those doing the math that's about 12 years ago.
Back when I first moved to the city, my friend Rich introduced me to a lot of cool people and one of our favorite annual events was going to a house party for the Super Bowl. The second year that we went, the host decided to have an unofficial "Dip-Off" where the prize was simply bragging rights. Each person made and brought along a dip to share - and in the first year I was deemed the official winner with this tasty, extremely unhealthy but amazingly tasty nacho dip. I can't take full credit though since my mom had a hand in passing this one along to me. However, starting last year, I've added bacon bits to the top and it just pushes the I'm-Having-A-Heart-Attack factor up even more!
Make this dish for your Super Bowl Party and thank me when all the compliments come pouring in - YAY METAPHORICAL TOUCHDOWN!!
Jenny's Awesome Super Bowl Nacho Chili Dip
3 Ounce Package of Cream Cheese (soft enough to spread)
1/2 - 3/4 Cup of Sour Cream
1 Can of Hormel's Beanless Chili
1 Package of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
4 Slices of cooked bacon (optional...let's be honest, this is not optional)
1 Bag of Tortilla Chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a baking dish, sparsely spread the cream cheese on the bottom of the dish so that it's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick. Since cream cheese is kind of hard and will break the chips, dilute the mixture with sour cream. Combine the two on the bottom of the dish until you have about 3/4 of an inch thick of creamy mixture.
3. On top of this layer, open and empty one full can of Hormel's Beanless Chili and spread it out so it completely covers the cream layer. You could use any canned, beanless chili (or you can keep the beans if you'd like) but I happen to think Hormel's is the tastiest.
4. In the microwave, cook 3-4 slices of bacon on a paper-towel-lined plate on high for about 4 minutes. Bacon does not need to be crispy, but mostly cooked. Dice into small pieces once cool enough to handle.
5. For the top layer, spread out shredded cheddar cheese in a thick layer. Sprinkle bacon slices on top of the cheese.
6. Place dish into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until there is bubbling around the edges of the dish and the cheese is completely melted.
7. Let stand for about 5-10 minutes to cool.
8. Take a chip, dip through all three layers of awesome, and have a mouth party! ENJOY!